Abu Dhabi resident concerned about police case after missing three payments

How can I find out if there is a police case registered against me over unpaid debts? I have failed to pay three instalments of my loan and am worried about what might happen. Is there anything I can do? PS, Abu Dhabi.

The quickest way of checking is to contact the bank directly, as not speaking to them only makes a situation worse. A bank is more likely to take action against a defaulting borrower if they have not communicated and are not responding to telephone calls. You could also go to a main police station in the relevant emirate to find out if a case has been registered against you. Any-one doing this will need a copy of their passport and their Emirates identity card to inquire if there are any cases or complaints registered. Once a case has been registered in respect of a debt, a bank is not likely to retract the case until the debt has been repaid, or at least a large portion of it and the remainder is in the process. Be aware that if a case is outstanding the police may also ask questions about the debt although there should be little in the way of action until a case goes to court at which point a prison sentence can be given. A custodial sentence does not mean that a debt is repaid and banks have the right to pursue a claim, plus costs. To avoid getting to this stage, it is far better to speak to a bank and try to agree a way of repaying the monies owed.

Keren Bobker is an independent financial adviser with Holborn Assets in Dubai, with over 20 years experience. Contact her at keren@holbornassets.com. Follow her on Twitter at @FinancialUAE

The advice provided in our columns does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information only. Readers are encouraged to seek appropriate independent legal advice

Share This Post