Al Houthis ‘ready to halt Red Sea attacks’

It was not clear whether the group would halt its attacks immediately or how long the cessation would last

Dubai – Yemen’s Al Houthi militia said on Tuesday it is ready to unilaterally halt attacks in the Red Sea to support peace efforts, days after Saudi Arabia suspended oil exports through a strategic Red Sea channel following an attack on crude tankers last week.


Yemen borders the Bab Al Mandeb strait, which is one of the world’s most important trade routes for oil tankers.

It was not clear whether the group would halt its attacks immediately or how long the cessation would last.

Saudi Arabia said on Thursday it was suspending oil shipments through the strait after Al Houthis attacked two Saudi oil tankers, one of which sustained minimal damage, until the waterway was safe.

Analysts say Riyadh is trying to encourage its Western allies to take more seriously the danger posed by the Al Houthis.

Share This Post