Britain to ‘dispatch’ forces to Kuwait

Cairo: Britain has agreed to deploy military troops in Kuwait in response to a request from the government there, the Kuwaiti newspaper Annahar reported on Wednesday, citing an unnamed senior diplomatic source.

The consent followed talks of a Kuwaiti-British cooperation committee last week and a visit by Kuwait’s Foreign Minister Sabah Al Khaled to London, the source added.


“Britain has welcome and agreed on the Kuwaiti request for having troops in the country and the details will be sorted out later,” the source told the paper, expecting the deployment to take place later this year.

There was no immediate official comment in Kuwait.

In recent weeks, British media reported that London was considering having a limited troop presence in Kuwait.

British Ambassador to Kuwait Michael Davenport has said in a recent interview that the planned troop presence will not be large, describing defence links as a mainstay of relations between his country and Kuwait.

Share This Post