Two-year-old girl in Sharjah emirate sustained second-degree burns to 45 per cent of her body after a pressure cooker exploded
Dubai: A two-year-old Emirati girl was discharged from hospital last Saturday after surviving second-degree burns to her body.
Shaikha Saeed Al Mughni, from Dibba Al Hosn, was in the kitchen with her aunt and the housemaid when the accident happened.
The incident happened around two weeks ago, according to Arabic media reports.
Dr Muqdad Al Hammadi, a plastic surgeon at Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi, said that the treatment involved giving fluids for the first 24 hours, as well as cleaning and disinfecting the burned areas of Shaikha’s body.
After her condition stabilises within two weeks, doctors expect Shaikha to carry out physiotherapy for three to six months.
Parents were advised to take caution when their children are in certain areas of the house that may be considered as somewhat dangerous, such as the kitchen, which may lead to accidental burns or poisoning.
How to keep your home safe
- Keep kitchen equipment and tools well-organised
- Keep small children out of the kitchen while cooking
- Avoid wearing inappropriate clothing such as long sleeves which may cause danger
- Put a childproof lock on your oven to prevent danger
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children
- Place gas cylinders in a well-ventilated location
- Do not expose the cylinder directly to sun and heat sources
- Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen
- Ensure gas valve/regulator is closed before leaving the kitchen
- Children must be under constant supervision by an adult while swimming.
- They should wear the buoys and life jackets.
- First aid box and survival hoops should be placed close to the swimming pool.
- Build a safety fence around the pool and don’t allow children to run or play around the pool area.
Rooms and interior safety
- Install safety gates for staircases to avoid your child from falling.
- Gap between the stair balusters should not exceed four inches.
- Do not keep furniture, tables, or chairs near windows or balconies.
- Install safety barriers on high places like windows or balconies to prevent children from falling.
- Put safety guard pieces to protect sharp corners at home
- Store sharp tools and equipment in enclosed areas.
- Secure all equipment, wires or materials laid on the floor to ensure safety.
- Avoid overloading sockets to prevent risk of fire.
- Keep empty plastic bags and ropes away from the reach of children.
Source: Dubai Municipality