Fire breaks out in Sharjah tower

Civil Defence rushed to put out a fire on Tuesday in a 15-storey residential building

Dubai: Residents at Al Dhaheri residential tower in Sharjah started their day in a panic after a fire broke out in their building.

Tenants of the 15-storey high rise, located in Al Taawun area, quickly evacuated the building and rushed to safety.

•  Fire safety violators to be named and shamed in Sharjah
•  Five people die of suffocation after apartment fire in Sharjah
•  What you should do in case of fire

A source at Sharjah Civil Defence said the operations control room was alerted about the fire at 6.45am on Tuesday.  

According to preliminary investigations, the fire was caused by an electrical short-circuit after it was affected by soaring temperatures.  

“Teams of firefighters, police patrols and ambulances were dispatched to the scene and within ten minutes, the fire was under control,” said the source.

The fire was eventually put out and tenants soon returned to their homes.

Electrical equipment and wires

To prevent fires in homes, safety experts warned residents to keep a close check on electrical equipment and wiring.

1. Do ensure that electrical appliances do not have loose or any damaged cord or plugs.

2. Make sure that extension cords do not run under rugs or heavy furniture.

3. Always use standard and quality material.

4. Do not attach multiple appliances to power sockets so as not to overload the socket

5. Electrical work and maintenance should only be carried out by a qualified and authorised person.

Share This Post