Fire drill goes horribly wrong, teen dies

She was not prepared to jump, so the trainer pushed her.

Dubai: On July 12, 19-year-old college student Logeswari died after she was forced to jump off the second floor of her private educational institute in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, during a disaster preparedness drill.

In a video that went viral on social media, the second year BBA student at Coimbatore’s Kalaimagal College of Arts and Science, was seen sitting on the ledge of the second floor, while other students from the college waited below with a safety net.

The video shows that the girl was not ready to jump. A man can be seen pushing the student off the ledge even as she resists. Her head then hit the sun shade on the first floor before falling on to safety net that her college mates were holding for her.

Tweeps shared condolatory messages.

@arunphilipv tweeted: “Deeply sadenned to know on the tragic loss of a girl who died after falling from a college building during the #mock drill exercise at #Coimbatore. My thoughts and prayers are with her families.”

Many tweeps said the drill was not conducted with safety measures and that the trainer should be held accountable.

Tweep @aswinkumar88 posted: “Disturbing visuals from #Coimbatore. It is ironical that safety measures have been compromised in a safety drill. No helmet provided and not even instructed to wear shoes. This is a terrible tragedy. Her family has lost a brave girl due to negligence of the trainer #RIPLogeshwari”

And @AravinBala posted: “What kind of disaster management coaching going on in #Coimbatore? All those who have involved are murderers. Book them and punish them.”

According to media reports, shocked fellow students rushed to try and help as Logeswari fell motionless on the net. She was rushed to a Government hospital where she was pronounced dead. She suffered severe injuries to her head and neck.

Tweep @raojitin wrote on Twitter: “It’s a sham, despite everything we have made a mockery out of mock drills. My deepest condolences to the bereaved family. #Coimbatore #disasterdrill”

The man in the video is said to be the trainer, R Arumugam, who has been taken into custody.

According to a report on The Times of India, the trainer R Arumugam had a certificate from the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and was preparing students of The Kalaimagal College of Arts and Science for steps they must take in case there was a fire.

Tweep @Five5starA wrote: Very sad. How come these inexperienced people are given certification and allowed to do disaster management trainings?”

Media reports say that several students had already jumped in the safety drill and landed safely on the net. A total of 20 students were part of the training.

The police have filed a case under section 304(a) of the Indian Penal Code, for causing death by negligence.

Avatar

News RSS feed

About Author

Fire drill goes horribly wrong, teen dies

She was not prepared to jump, so the trainer pushed her.

Dubai: On July 12, 19-year-old college student Logeswari died after she was forced to jump off the second floor of her private educational institute in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, during a disaster preparedness drill.

In a video that went viral on social media, the second year BBA student at Coimbatore’s Kalaimagal College of Arts and Science, was seen sitting on the ledge of the second floor, while other students from the college waited below with a safety net.

The video shows that the girl was not ready to jump. A man can be seen pushing the student off the ledge even as she resists. Her head then hit the sun shade on the first floor before falling on to safety net that her college mates were holding for her.

Tweeps shared condolatory messages.

@arunphilipv tweeted: “Deeply sadenned to know on the tragic loss of a girl who died after falling from a college building during the #mock drill exercise at #Coimbatore. My thoughts and prayers are with her families.”

Many tweeps said the drill was not conducted with safety measures and that the trainer should be held accountable.

Tweep @aswinkumar88 posted: “Disturbing visuals from #Coimbatore. It is ironical that safety measures have been compromised in a safety drill. No helmet provided and not even instructed to wear shoes. This is a terrible tragedy. Her family has lost a brave girl due to negligence of the trainer #RIPLogeshwari”

And @AravinBala posted: “What kind of disaster management coaching going on in #Coimbatore? All those who have involved are murderers. Book them and punish them.”

According to media reports, shocked fellow students rushed to try and help as Logeswari fell motionless on the net. She was rushed to a Government hospital where she was pronounced dead. She suffered severe injuries to her head and neck.

Tweep @raojitin wrote on Twitter: “It’s a sham, despite everything we have made a mockery out of mock drills. My deepest condolences to the bereaved family. #Coimbatore #disasterdrill”

The man in the video is said to be the trainer, R Arumugam, who has been taken into custody.

According to a report on The Times of India, the trainer R Arumugam had a certificate from the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and was preparing students of The Kalaimagal College of Arts and Science for steps they must take in case there was a fire.

Tweep @Five5starA wrote: Very sad. How come these inexperienced people are given certification and allowed to do disaster management trainings?”

Media reports say that several students had already jumped in the safety drill and landed safely on the net. A total of 20 students were part of the training.

The police have filed a case under section 304(a) of the Indian Penal Code, for causing death by negligence.

Avatar

News RSS feed

About Author

You may also like

ADFF Introduces New Award for Environmental Films

  • Sep 09, 2011
WAM Abu Dhabi, Sept. 6th, 2011 (WAM) -- The Abu Dhabi Film Festival (ADFF), organized by Abu Dhabi Authority for

DCL analyzes thousands of food and environmental samples

  • Sep 09, 2011
Tue 06-09-2011 22:08 PM WAM Dubai, Sept. 6th, 2011 (WAM) -- Food and Environment Laboratory Section of Dubai Central Laboratory